04 February 2009

LUNCH: 33rd Street Bistro

33rd Street Bistro's Web site
Am I the only one who doesn't like this place? I don't hate it, I just think it's pretty average -- on par with an Applebee's. Because many of my friends frequent it, I eat at 33rd Street Bistro regularly. I've had some brunch dishes that were fine. The sandwiches are pretty good, the salads are OK (dressing tastes like it's from a bottle, though) and the wine list is completely uninspired. Which, again, is fine for a garden-variety diner, but not what I consider "bistro" fare. A casual workday lunch? Sure. A dinner date or special occasion? No, thanks.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, and think you might actually be too nice. I always feel like my dishes were washed with dirty bar water. And are all the egg dishes the same? A cocktail or two might get me out the door humming, but I find there are better places to eat in in East Sacramento. I'm all for the local resturant, but not the bistro prices if I'm not getting bistro food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't include it in the original post, but recently I had lunch at corner table and the ledge was COVERED in dust. Gross. But, I've eaten at Bistro 33 downtown -- it's a similar type menu (similar price points, bistro fare) and is worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered why people liked going to 33rd street bistro during law school. always uninspiring; the salads are dull; the paninis are so-so, and once you've ordered all of them off the menu several times, there's little left to say. I enjoy Bistro 33 more, particularly the appetizers, smaller plates, and atmosphere. Lunch on the patio during the spring is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we all agree. I never understood the appeal of this place either.

    ReplyDelete