01 February 2009

DINNER: Masullo Pizza - with the kids

Masullo's Web site
Last night the whole family tried Masullo Pizza on Riverside Blvd. with a friend, her husband and their two year old girl. My friend had raved about this place and had been several times, so we decided to try it with them in order to fulfill a long over due dinner date. It's located in what appears to be a pretty lonely looking strip mall, close to Riverside Clubhouse. It's minimalist looking with concrete floors and long darkwood tables with mostly benches to sit on. The place is small, probably could seat 30 people. Since we had two 2 year-olds with us I wasn't expecting anything fancy and this place certainly met that requirement. They did have hi-chairs available but we opted to let the kids climb around on the benches (and tables). As they were getting squirrelly after a long day of Montessori daycare and waiting for the pizza - my friend and I took the girls over to see the open kitchen: with complete viewing of the pizzas being made and placed into the wood burning oven. This was a plus in keeping them entertained. The menu was simple: a few standard Italian starters, green salads, olive plate, the usual. The pizzas were all individual sized. Probably a good 12 inches but a VERY thin crust. I promised myself that I wouldn't eat the whole thing, but after giving a slice or two to Claire and my husband - my plate was empty. I was impressed by their selections: mine was topped with red onion, goat cheese, oyster mushrooms and mozzarella. However, if you are craving a deep dish or even normal thickness pizza, this is not your place. Overall I enjoyed the experience, but I would not go here to satisfy a heavy pizza craving. As for kid friendly - the open kitchen was a good distraction while waiting for our food to arrive, but all the concrete and openness made it loud when the girls got rambunctious.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the husband and can't believe my wife had a positive review.
    "Hated it!"
    Crust is thin and tasteless. I ordered the sausage pizza and received like 5 to 6 bits of meat. Over-priced and boring!

    ReplyDelete