03 February 2009

COCKTAILING: The Cosmopolitan

The Cosmopolitan's Web site
I finally made it to The Cosmopolitan -- or Cosmo, as some folks call it -- for happy hour. Loved it! It has a nice, new, modern, upbeat feel. I got there at 5:30, it wasn't too crowded so we got a prime spot at the bar. By the time I left, around 8pm, the bar and the restaurant were pretty busy. (That's right, my "happy hour" lasts at least a couple hours.) I didn't recognize some of the wines they were pouring -- which is a good sign. I love to try new wines and I'm grateful the buyer doesn't go with the standard Sacramento flow. We shared some apps: the scallops were delish (but only three per plate) and the cheese plate was OK. (Compared to those of nearby wine bars, Cosmo's cheese plate doesn't stand out.) The service was good, but the kitchen became slow later in the evening when they got busy. Our bartender was fantastic -- some cutie who claimed to be from NYC -- who was more than happy to let us sample several wines and offered to split our last glass of wine (we were debating on whether to have another, should have cut ourselves off at that point, but hadn't finished our late-arriving cheese plate). I only have a couple minor quibbles: champagne and valet parking. I wish they had a better champagne by the glass, or at least more options. And they do not offer valet parking, but do validate at the nearby garage. Regardless, I'm eager to go back to Cosmo -- for drinks or for dinner -- sooner than later.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree that the cheese plate is less than inspiring, but I never turn down cheese. One of my weaknesses. Ask my husband. Anyhow- I really love the Cosmo atmosphere, and have been several times for lunch. The one dinner experience hit a sore spot with us; our meals were very tasty, but lukewarm to cold. I think the entrees tend to sit there (other comments on yelp back me up on this). If Cosmo can get their timing down better, I and others will be back. The best sandwich is their curry chicken/apple sandwich. Very yummy.

    ReplyDelete