20 February 2009

COCKTAILING: de Vere's

de Vere's Web site
Sandra was right, de Vere's has quite a mixed crowd. We were lucky enough to get a little table in the front section, the place was packed at 5:30 on Thursday. To my right was a table of four senior citizens finishing up an early supper, the men were drinking beer and the ladies were sipping Irish coffees -- adorable! To my left was a slew of men in suits. CUTE men in suits -- all you single ladies need to check out this place. Henry, one of the owners, stopped by our table and explained that nearly everything in de Vere's came from his family in Ireland. I was impressed with how far removed I felt from Sacramento's L & 16th locale; with no windows and the detailed decor, de Vere's whisked me back to the pub-laden trip I took to Ireland years ago. Debbie and Phyllis sampled and enthusiastically reviewed the Belfast Tini, the Irish Tini and the Shillelagh -- all whiskey-based drinks (a couple were served in martini glasses). I was not in an adventurous mood so I sipped the Edna Valley chard. We ordered the Fish & Chips to share, which I doused in the malt vinegar they keep on the table -- delish. By 7pm, a lot of the crowd had cleared out. It was by no means empty, but de Vere's is obviously popular with the post-work drink crowd. My only complaint is the lack of valet parking. But, if you work within walking distance of de Vere's (or parking issues don't faze you), check out this cheery new spot. de Vere's is a nice contrast to its uber-sleek upstairs neighbor, MiX, and a unique addition to the growing host of midtown restaurants.

2 comments:

  1. I've found that the parking garage 17th and L is $2 after 5 PM. The garage seems to have a lot of free spaces, even late night on weekends.

    ReplyDelete