25 February 2009

DINNER: Aioli Bodega Espanola

Aioli Bodega Espanola's Web site
My friend Rachel had a birthday dinner for 12 at Aioli recently. Although it looks charming and cozy, the restaurant feels slightly cramped and very warm. Our server was a nice but somewhat brusque Frenchman. In assisting us with wine he immediately asked for a price range. Upon getting one he said "I'll take care of you" and disappeared without asking our preferences. He returned with a bottle that he poured and left with the empty bottle without telling us what the wine was. I was a bit put off but others appreciated his take charge attitude. I admit the wine he selected, a Guelbezu Azul 2005, was a crowd pleaser and even came in under the budget we gave. He was helpful in telling us how many tapas to order and stopping us when we had ordered enough. There were some odd choices the restaurant made like serving the cheese plate with 2 spoons and making ravioli with what appeared to be won ton wrappers. Read on for a food recap. The halibut with white wine and capers Rachel ordered was perfect. The patatas bravas on the other hand were not spicy or hot. The gambas (shrimp) were slightly overcooked. Herb and cheese stuffed ravioli in sage butter in my opinion had almost no filling or flavor. However, my friend Joni loved them and others seemed to like them too. The mussels in sherry sauce were a huge flop. The mussels had a horrible taste. My friend Bri and I agree on this completely. The house cheese filled bourek (pastry triangles) were doughy and delicious. The traditional tortillas tre colores were good but there were pieces of eggshell in the dish, a big no no. Salmon with lemon and capers was perfect, the chicken with mustard sauce was not a table favorite, the raw tuna served on spinach with tomato confit was blah. Chris devoured every bite of his rib eye giving it a thumbs up. For dessert, the birthday girl got an almond meal cake doused in fruit syrup. Many described it as tasting like froot loops cereal which I love by the way. I loved the texture of the almond meal and I tasted a hint of jasmine. At least I thought I did. Remember, I had a few glasses of wine by that point. Overall, this place has good date ambience but the food is hit or miss. In nice weather it has a small but gorgeous patio that has the perfect romantic date ambience.

No comments:

Post a Comment