06 February 2009

COCKTAILING: de Vere's Irish Pub

de Vere's Web site
I checked this brand new place out after work and as soon as I walked in I felt overwhelmed. It was about 6:15 on a Thursday and the place was packed to the rafters. I know it is the newest downtown spot but it caught me off guard for pub atmosphere. It is a very large space with bar and small table seating. It has two sections front and back that are equally pub like but for some reason that I couldn't quite put my finger on, the feel is distinctly "upscale." I found a spot belly up to the bar and ordered a de Vere's Irish Red Ale. It was very good. For my next, I wanted to try a beer I never had. I saw two on the list I had never tried. Unfortunately for me they were out. Really, on a Thursday night?! I decided on the de Vere's Irish Lager and I liked it even better than the red ale. It was light, clean and delicious. For food my friend and I settled on the broccoli cheese soup and the chips with Dublin dipping sauces. My soup was very good. It wasn't heavy or creamy like I thought it would be and it had lots of fresh broccoli pieces in it. The chips however disappointed. They were steak cut fries and instead of dipping sauces we got something I can only describe as gravy butter dip. It was pretty awful. The bartenders were friendly and the older suits at the bar next to my friend and me were even friendlier. It was quite a mixed crowd but after work it was heavy on the older professional crowd. Unfortunately they don't offer any sort of happy hour. That is a big minus for this place considering its location. My friend Pam described de Vere's as the place that the Streets of London crowds go when they've grown up and got real jobs. Well put.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't even know about this place -- thanks for the scoop!

    ReplyDelete