09 February 2009

COCKTAILING: L Wine Lounge

L Wine Lounge Web site
It was a romantic Saturday: after doing our taxes and squeezing in a game of racquetball, we saw "He's Just Not That Into You" and then had drinks and appetizers at L Wine Lounge. I've always had a nice time at this place. There's usually a place to sit (important in my book) at the bar or in the "lounge" area. L has a cool, modern atmosphere -- perfect for many occasions, like laughing it up with a group or having an intimate conversation with your spouse. I had the Sparkler flight -- three generous tastes of sparkling wine. John had a Malbec from a Yolo vineyard, which was quite tasty. We ordered several appetizers: a pizzetta (pretty good -- but how can you mess up bread and cheese?), meatballs (John loved them, I liked them) and the white anchovy plate (delish!). Later on, I ordered a glass of red, I think it was the Barbera, which was wonderful. John, too, had another glass of red (can't remember which) and liked it. (Yeah, I know. We need to start writing these down since our memory fails us once we get to drink number two.) We drank those with a round of bread that comes with a yummy crumbly spice dipping mixture (I tasted coriander, wish I knew what else was in there). By the time we left, we were full enough to call our happy hour a dinner. I've started to favor drinks and apps at wine bars instead of structured dinners at restaurants -- it not only costs less, but I don't get overly full and come home with leftovers that I never eat. L Wine Lounge has consistently offered up tasty food, great wine and attentive service. I've heard others disagree (post your comments below!), but L Wine Lounge gets a big thumbs up from me.

3 comments:

  1. As the "other" in this twosome, I can only add that I concur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need to give it another try: our first experience was slow, boring, and lack of attention to our table. I still recall getting the cheese plate and the server not being sure what types of cheese were on it! Blaeek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree. The service here is inconsistent. I have had wonderful service from the owner Marcus and Leon (the cute young server) but too often I have had bad service. When I say bad I really mean horrendous, unacceptable and truly atrocious. I have literally had to get up and walk out of this place after getting a plate of cold fries (that we sent back) and practically having to throw myself in front of a passing server and beg for service on several occasions throughout the night. This was after a previous occasion where the service was so bad we complained and a bad experience before that one where I said nothing. I thought I would give them one last chance. They proved that they just don't care.

    ReplyDelete