29 January 2009

LUNCH: Kim Restaurant

Props to this hole in the wall Vietnamese restaurant downtown at 1008 J Street (near the corner of 10th and J, the Grange, and Cesar Chavez Park). 2 coworkers know I like banh mi sandwiches (vietnamese sandwiches), and they have recommended this place in the past. I feel like I may have gone to it under different ownership, but that was years ago before I started packing a bag lunch everyday. All I have to say is that the banh mi was great- roll, warm bbq chicken, pickled veggies like carrots and cucumbers, and cilantro. What else could you ask for? The kicker- $3.50!! This place is interesting- everything is made to order right when you order it, so everything comes out piping hot. All the pho soups they were serving looked great! I was drooling and wishing I had more than a 1/2 hour lunch. The downfall- very very tiny locale and packed. It looks like it is very difficult to find a seat, and by the time I got my take out, it was almost past my lunch. It was fun, though, watching the pork and chicken being cooked fresh on the huge cooking ovens. All the veggies were extremely fresh and clean looking (not like some places where it looks like the lettuce is slimy). I think they have enough food turnover that they maintain the quality of their produce by ordering often. Other things on their menu: pho, noodle soups, lemongrass chicken, etc... I felt like I was in San Francisco or on Broadway with authentic fare. Only open M-F 10 AM-3 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment