25 January 2009

Mac and Cheese: 58 Degrees & Holding Co.

Ok, I love pasta and I love cheese. I also love red wine. What can I say, my dad is Italian from Italy so it's in my genetic composition. However, I am American. I just love good old macaroni and cheese. I don't discriminate either; I love the orange boxed Kraft stuff as much as I love the gourmet stuff. Not all mac and cheese is good though. That is why I was so pleased when I first tried the macaroni and cheese at 58 Degrees. To begin with I love 58 Degrees. It has a great, warm, cozy atmosphere and I love the dim exposed brick and dark wood interior. It's a classy but relaxed and chill environment. I have had both outstanding and horrible service there. Luckily it was only once or twice that the service was not up to par. The servers are usually the same people who have been there for a long time and know what they're doing. The mac and cheese is to die for. It is a pretty small portion that comes in a small round dish. You really don't need a lot because it is rich, cheesy and decadent. I honestly don't know what cheeses are used but I can tell you it is good white cheese. The menu calls it a 4 Cheese Macaroni with Parmigiano Reggiano bread crumbs and truffle oil. The noodles are not elbow macaroni but rather small, narrow tubular pasta similar to ziti. The cheese is a white, creamy perfectly spiced and seasoned sauce that really is amazing. My favorite part is the crunchy topping of cheesy, hard bread crumbs. The small plate is $8. A little pricy for the portion but when you taste it you know it is worth almost any price! I always enjoy it with my favorite red wine there, the Macchia Old Vine Zinfandel. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment