28 January 2009

DINNER CLUB RECAP: Cioppino

For this DC I made an orange poppy seed dressing salad with organic walnuts, cran-raisins and gorgonzola cheese. The entree was cioppino, inspired from last weekend's trip to Moss Landing's Phil's Fish Market (who just happened to have a throw down with Food Network Bobby Flay filmed a few days before our visit). We found out the Food Network Cioppino throwdown was going to be aired the day of my DC, so, of course, I had to do Cioppino. I bastardized a few recipes found online and from out tasting at Phil's. Started with a sans pine nut pesto to open the shellfish, cooked in the fish, calamari, shimp, scallops, and fresh crab. The sauce was tomato, thyme, garlic, onion, fennel, wine, cinnamon, an australian molasses, & a generous tasting of saffron. The wine served was chianti and a New Zealand chardonnay; the beer was a Sam Adams Winter Lager. It was served with a garlic bread and pineapple-blackberry upside down cake with vanilla ice cream dessert. Overall, I thought the cioppino was good, if not a bit labor intensive.

3 comments:

  1. One of the best DCs. I'm sooooooo fuuuuuulllllll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wray really out did himself. No doubt it was labor intensive, but it was marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would highly recommend Phil's Fish Market in Moss Landing to all friends and family. My parents just went and loved it. Fresh seafood and beer. How much better does it get? I would recommend the bar area, though, for eating. The other dining area seems too cafeteria and family-oriented for me. And, if you sit at the bar, you can order from the bar and not from the line. Fresh oysters on the half shell and cioppino. Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete