29 January 2009

DINNER: Malabar (Natomas)

Malabar's Web site
Unless I'm craving a burger, Malabar is not my top choice for a meal. However, when I don't feel like going downtown, this dressy diner hits the spot since it's close to my Natomas home. The burgers are pretty good. And probably the best reason to go to Malabar. Sometimes I'll meet fellow Natomas dwellers for a drink at Malabar (when we have some serious girl talk to cover and care more about convenience than the quality of our drinks and apps). The garden-variety wine list is lacking, but the atmosphere isn't bad for a suburban restaurant. The bar is sizable, which is a good thing since it's often crowded in the evenings. Last time I dined at Malabar, I tried the Mahi Mahi. I ate everything on my plate because I was starving -- not because it was delicious. I'd give it a C+. We also tried the coconut prawns, which were small, dry and flavorless. Even the dipping sauce was bland (and likely comprised of canned or highly processed ingredients). One of my dinner companions ordered the Reuben sandwich and gave that a thumbs up. The rest of the group ordered burgers and were very satisfied. On past visits, I tried salads. The Caesar wasn't great. The Thai Beef was OK. Once I tried the portobella appetizer. It was pretty good but that's because it was smothered in cheese. I'd rank Malabar as a first-rate family-friendly diner. It has yummy burgers and sandwiches and comfy booths. But if you're hungry for fresh seafood or a salad, go downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment