22 May 2009

DINNER: Pearl on the River

Pearl on the River's Web site
Our first impression was good. We had a small plate dinner consisting of the beet salad, sliders, clams with chorizo, and polenta-mushroom tart. Coffee and bread pudding for dessert. Overall this place is a HUGE improvement over prior establishment The Blue Gecko (aka the Denny's-like-place called The Blue Gecko). Physically, the location is nice, great views of the river and the establishment is clean and modern with a comfortable feel. The food was all prepared well and tasty, although there did seem to be a bit of sand? in the clams. Never a good texture to have with any seafood. The sliders were prepared perfect and very tasty and juicy. The polenta-mushroom tart was also good, but not stellar. And, except for the sliders, I was glad to be sharing each of these plates. Our second experience was with Sandy, and I'm sure her post will be up soon, but the food was not as good as our first experience. We shared the recommended "outstanding calamari appetizer." It is the traditional fried calamari but in a spicy tomato sauce. It is not crunchy, but I don't think it is supposed to be. I enjoyed it, but again was glad to be sharing with others. I also shared a butter lettuce, blue cheese vinaigrette, with blue cheese crumbles salad. There were no blue cheese crumbles, and the description was much better than the actual salad, although still tasty. My entree was the "Spicy Fettuccine and Prawns". The prawns were very tasty, the fettuccine was nice (not spicy), but it was not great, not something I would remember as worth ordering anytime soon, especially with other options on the menu that I thought sounded worthwhile, like the "Espresso & Cocoa Pork Chop" or the "Niman Ranch Kobe Sirloin". I did have a bite of a special lamb chop which I would say was very, very good. I shoulda got that one. They do have a good tangerine beer that is worth a try. Despite my criticisms, It is a new restaurant that is still working out its kinks, and given the other options (Chevy's, Crawdads, Virgin Sturgeon, or Bridges on the River) it is still a good pick for the area.

1 comment: