31 May 2009

COCKTAILING: Tre

Tre's Web site
My curiosity got the best of me. I don't like to patronize businesses that don't appreciate their customers and after reading many atrocious reviews on Yelp I decided I should not go to Tre. However, I am always on the hunt for new happy hours to go to and Tre has one that goes from 5 until 7. I caved and decided to check it out. It is in an odd location. It is in the old El Torito in the shopping center on Howe Ave. that has the Old Navy, Marshalls, Ross and several other stores. How can a restaurant/club in a large strip mall be snooty I wondered? Luckily I did not get any attitude. From what I read they save that for the people trying to get into their nightclub that has apparently become popular. My happy hour server was very friendly and helpful. I arrived around 5:30 and the place was totally dead. For happy hour they serve well drinks as well as select wine and draught beers for $3.33. The happy hour wine was Bogle Chardonnay or Syrah. The happy hour beers were Blue Moon, Coors Light, Fat Tire and Rubicon IPA. They have a short menu of small plates for $3.33. On the menu were Kobe sliders, Asian guacamole, hummus, French fries, tacos and a milkshake. I tried the Asian guac. It wasn't good. It tasted like a pre-made guacamole mix. I don't eat most meat or poultry so I didn't try the Kobe sliders. I hear they are amazing though. The interior is mostly nice although I could still see remnants of the El Torito. The dance floor was a totally unimpressive white rectangular room with a wooden floor. The scotch bar was done in dark wood with red accents. The VIP areas were nice and loungey. The wine room was nicely done too. The patios however were totally bare and horrendous. One has a view of the traffic on Howe and the other has a view of the strip mall parking lot. They could at least put up screens, curtains or put some nice plants out there. I might be back to try their Tuesday night seafood happy hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment