14 May 2009

DINNER CLUB RECAP: Zucchini, Tomatoes, Anchovies and more!

I was happy with the grilled zucchini I made for dinner club. And with the roasted tomatoes. The lentil salad with baked sweet potatoes wasn't great. But the white anchovy bruschetta app was a hit. ZUCCHINI SIDE DISH: I sliced the zucchini into thin planks, tossed with olive oil and grilled each side on medium heat -- to lightly sweat them out. Then I cranked up the heat to give each side some lovely grill marks. I tossed the slices in a tasty dressing: olive oil, red chili, red wine vinegar and lots of shredded mint leaves. SLOW-ROASTED TOMATO SALAD: I halved vine-ripened tomatoes, tossed in olive oil and roasted them in the oven for three hours on 275F. I served them with torn chunks of fresh mozzarella, olive oil and dash of balsamic on the plate. APPETIZER: I found white anchovy fillets at Whole Foods and threw those on some country bread that I grilled and rubbed with garlic. DESSERT: For dessert, I made individual lemon cakes with a lemon zest and sugar crust, and then dripped them with basil syrup -- found the recipe on Epicurious.com. NEWS: At this dinner club, we decided to hit up one unsuspecting restaurant all at once -- so, Sac DC is planning a group outing in June or July ... stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Verry, very yummy. Although there were an unacceptably small amount of leftovers. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring veggie dishes are so good. I loved that zucchini dressing! And the individual lemon cakes were so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. claire and I loved it so much we broke dishes over the excitement! It was so good.

    ReplyDelete