01 August 2009

DINNER: Hot Italian, Sandra's take

Hot Italian's Web site
Here is my take on Hot Italian. I think the idea of a motorcycle and scooter shop attached to a pizza and calzone restaurant is very weird but who am I to judge? What is even more weird is that when the restaurant is busy, the overflow crowd gets seated at little tables inside the shop. I personally would not want to eat in a motorcycle showroom with a motorcycle on one side of me and the restrooms on the other side but lucky for me we got a table in the main restaurant. The whole space is open and minimalist. The restaurant is all white with black communal tables and black accents. And by accents I really mean black forks stuck onto the whitewashed cement block walls. The menu is mostly pizzas that can be made into calzones with a few salad options as well. The appetizer is a single option of cheese and sliced cured Italian meats. Instead of serving bread they serve cooked pizza dough. I find this slightly strange when I'm guessing most people follow up their pizza dough starter with an actual pizza. Speaking of pizza, mine was actually pretty good. It was a sweet and savory thin crust pizza topped with figs, arugula, gorgonzola and balsamic vinegar that appeared to be reduced. The melted gorgonzola served as the "sauce" for the pizza. Bernadette mentioned the Super Umbria wine we had. The menu shows a map of Italy's regions. The wine by the bottle list is separated into two categories, $38 and $48 category! Once again, I find this somewhat strange but I can go with the flow. Under each "category" is a list of wines each with a symbol to help you locate the region that the wine came from on the map. It's kind of fun in a cutesy way. I should mention they do have a decent selection of wines by the glass and a couple of beer options as well. I chose a bottle of the dolcetto for our second bottle of the evening. I have to say it was a very nice bottle. I would order it again. For dessert I was looking forward to trying a gelato sandwich but they got rid of the sandwich option. Now you get the standard cup or cone options. My caramel salato (salted caramel) gelato was so good that I had to stop by Friday after work for a cone. The gelato is slightly on the icy side instead of creamy but I still really enjoyed the flavor. They got bonus points for playing one of my favorite Italian songs while I enjoyed my cone, Jovanotti's Mi Fido di Te. The service was a bit erratic but we didn't have any problems with our service. About the worst that happened was the late dessert pizza which was taken off our bill and the server not wanting to give each of us a pizza box for our leftovers but he gave us foil. By the way, skip the dessert pizza. It just tasted like soggy pears on soggy pizza dough with some gorgonzola cheese. That's just my opinion though. Overall, I can see they don't take themselves too seriously here, which is good. I was just left feeling like I didn't get the joke.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh but you did go back for more Gelato. Heehee.
    ~Nasca.

    ReplyDelete