15 February 2010

DESSERT: Ginger Elizabeth Chocolates

Ginger Elizabeth's Web site
For Valentine's Day, my hubby got me a box of chocolates. Not just any box, but a delectable selection from Ginger Elizabeth. First, I was pleasantly surprised by the present and loved the exquisite brown and pink packaging. Second, and most important, the chocolates were amazing. I'm pretty picky, in fact I don't care for those other candy vendors whose chocolates are saturated in sugar. No, the chocolate from Ginger Elizabeth has flavor. Mouth-watering flavor. I could easily identify what went into whichever piece I was eating: fresh raspberries, salted caramel, peanut butter, etc. I didn't miss the synthetic mystery flavors of those other brands at all. There are no preservatives in Ginger Elizabeth chocolates, so you need to eat them within two weeks (no refrigerating). Not a problem, I ate the entire box in two days. Even though I've had more than my fair share, I am very tempted to pop into the Ginger Elizabeth boutique on 18th and L to sample the ones I haven't tasted yet. (The Olmec spice is my favorite so far.) The leaflet that accompanied my box explained that every candy is made from scratch on site, not even flavor extracts are used. I didn't know extracts were that taboo, but I suppose using vanilla bean instead of vanilla extract, or fresh lemon instead of lemon flavor, makes a big difference. In fact, some of her offerings are seasonal, depending on when the ingredients are available. Ginger Elizabeth is open late most nights, so that midtown restaurant goers can stop in for dessert. What a good idea.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was an excellent blog, that information has been very helpful in my life, I am a desserts lover, so I really enjoyed this reading, this weekend I want to do one! Thanks for this great moment!

    ReplyDelete