21 June 2009

DINNER: Pearl on the River

I'm writing this review over a month after our dinner club night out dining experience. This is where my handy note book comes in to remind me of what I liked and didn't during my meal. The restaurant itself is nice inside but it was a beautiful night to eat outside. Our server was attentive if not a little clueless. He tried really hard though. I found my ginger mojito too sweet and not gingery enough but nice and minty. I ordered the salad special of butter lettuce, blue cheese crumbles, red onion, pears and walnuts with blue cheese vinaigrette. The onion overpowered the salad, the blue cheese crumbles were nowhere to be found and the salad was swimming in dressing. We shared fried calamari in a tomato chili sauce and topped with gruyere cheese. It was good but the sauce made it very soggy. The tangerine beer was a hit being crisp and not too fruity. This restaurant has Chimay blue which was a surprising treat although our sever didn't know what it was at first. I was apparently the first to order it. The shrimp cocktail was good and the sauce was even better. Katie liked her sliders but said they were a bit dry. Lisa's comment on her chili rubbed lamb with mint tomato jelly and cous cous with red pepper and onion was that it was like her mouth was a playground. (I think that was the Chimay talking or writing) Wray liked his fettuccini with gigantic prawns just fine but would probably not order it again. Paul's fried seafood plate was also ok but overpriced for what it was. That seemed to be the consensus for this place. I will mention the key lime pie was also ok. It was creamy and sweet. Everyone enjoyed the coffee which comes from Mr. Espresso NOT EXPRESSO. End of rant. Overall this place is just fine if you are looking to try a new place on the river but you are not looking to be wowed by the food.

2 comments: