29 January 2010

Dinner Club Recap: Southern Home Cookin'

It’s been forever since I blogged but I can’t forget about our last dinner club. It was the husband’s turn to do the cooking and he knocked it out of the park. He decided on straight up Southern cooking — fried fish, buttermilk chicken (baked, although you couldn’t tell by looking at it!), baked apples with fennel and the best mashed potatoes ever made. I can’t comment too much on the chicken since I don’t eat meat, but man, I was even tempted to take a bite. It was crispy on the outside and juicy looking on the inside. The fish was amazing, perfectly cooked so not as to taste a bit of oil, and light and flaky. The bake apples with fennel was right up there as well, the sweetness of the apple with the bite of fennel flavor was outstanding. He might have used two tubs of butter for the mashed pots, but it was worth it. Dessert was simple after such a heavy meal - grilled pineapple circles with nuts and nutella drizzle. Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. I think I ate 5 servings of fish. Yummy! And the pineapple was a really good dessert idea.

    ReplyDelete