22 January 2010

DINNER CLUB: Mac and Cheese for a stormy day 1/20/10

Every year around winter I make my homemade white macaroni and cheese. What better winter time comfort food than mac and cheese? I tried to keep the rest of the menu simple and healthy since our main course was going to be rich, gooey and indulgent. For an appetizer I made guilt free spinach dip served with pita chips and endive spears. I started dinner off with a wedge salad made with homemade buttermilk goat cheese dressing. Our main course was white macaroni and cheese with a side of orange zest broccoli. Dessert was poached pears topped with plain Greek yogurt and drizzled with honey. I always rely on my friend the Trader Joe's wine guy to make recommendations for wine pairings. I especially needed help since I am not a white wine drinker. One wine that he suggested that I really liked was a Les Caves Joseph Bordeaux Blanc. It was a sweet white wine that was not overpoweringly sweet. It was very different and I really liked it. I really love the spinach dip and it is so incredibly good for you. To make the spinach dip heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil and add 2 cloves of chopped garlic. Add a 10 oz. bag of spinach and a pinch of salt and let the spinach slowly wilt. In a food processer add a can of rinsed cannellini white beans, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt and pepper, 1 Tbsp of EVOO and the wilted spinach. Puree until smooth. Serve either warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment