15 December 2009

DINNER CLUB RECAP: Autumn Vegetables

Fall is hands down my favorite season. In California it comes and goes in the blink of an eye so I was so happy to host dinner club when it looked and felt like fall outside. I decided to have a meal of autumn vegetables and I planned my meal to take advantage of the fact that Trader Joe's is selling bagged, cubed sweet potatoes and butternut squash. For our dinner I made roasted fall vegetables, lentils and mashed sweet potatoes with a hint of banana. Dessert was eggnog pumpkin raisin bread pudding. Our beverage of the evening was hot spiced mulled wine. The vegetables were easy, very colorful and really delicious! I combined a peeled and cubed butternut squash with a peeled and cubed sweet potato and three cubed Yukon gold potatoes in a lightly oiled baking dish. I set aside two seeded and diced red bell peppers and one quartered red onion. I dressed all of the vegetables with a quarter cup of olive oil mixed with 2-3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 3 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme and salt and pepper to taste. I placed the baking dish of root vegetables in a 450 degree oven for about 35 minutes stirring occasionally, then I added the onion and bell pepper in and baked another 10-15 minutes stirring frequently. The mashed sweet potatoes were Rachel Ray's recipe that you can find online. I modified it by substituting stock for milk and reducing the amount of liquid. It was very good but if I make it again I will cut the amount of butter and banana in half. The mulled wine was made by adding 1 cup of sugar to 3 cups boiling water, add a sliced lemon and or a sliced orange, 6 cinnamon sticks, 6 whole cloves, half a gallon of Carlo Rossi Burgundy wine and nutmeg. Reduce to a simmer once you add the wine and let it simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes before serving. Happy Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment