01 October 2009

DINNER: Taylor's Kitchen, Sandra's take

What a charming little neighborhood restaurant this is! I loved the amusing rotating ceiling fans that are literally two small fans rotating on a long blade. Our Lucien Albrecht sparkling wine paired nicely with our four cheese plate. My favorites were the Humboldt Fog and Point Reyes Blue but I am partial to both of those so it was an unfair fight. The Carmody cow's milk cheese was a nice cheese I have never tried. It's nice to know I can go next door to Taylor's market and pick some up if I want to. The appetizer plate of caper berries, almonds, roasted yellow peppers and little cheese stuffed peppers (or were they tomatoes?) was not memorable except for the outstanding little stuffed red things. I think they were red peppers of some sort. The warm crusty bread and herbed olive oil were yummy. I ordered the nut encrusted Walu fish special with mashed butternut squash puree (served in place of traditional mashed potatoes) and baby green beans. The fish was absolutely delicious but ever so slightly overcooked around the edges. The portion was generous. The butternut squash was rich, sweet and savory at the same time. I wish I knew how to recreate it because I would want to make it all the time! It is the perfect fall side dish. Our endearing server Andrea suggested a nice Andrew Rich 2007 Pinot Noir that I enjoyed. Dessert was buttermilk panna cotta drizzled with honey and topped with blueberries. OMG, it was soooo good! Please order it if you go. It was thick and rich without being heavy or oily so it was creamy yet light at the same time. My only issue with our dinner is what I learned today googling Walu fish. Apparently it is known to cause an extremely unpleasant gastrointestinal issue if you eat too much due to the oils in the fish. I think restaurants should either not serve it or warn diners of this unpleasant side effect. I can't imagine a polite way to do that though. I was lucky that I had no such side effects. I guess I have an iron stomach. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a great meal in a charming and cozy setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment