10 November 2009

DINNER CLUB RECAP: Fall is Finally Here

After what seemed like the longest summer ever, the leaves are finally on the ground and it's time to break out the sweaters and hot cider. My dinner club was inspired by fall flavors. I started with a caramelized apple and onion bruschetta with melted brie as my appetizer. The bite of white wine vinegar really brought out a unique taste in the apples, but there still was a hint of sweetness. For dinner it was squash, sage, and ricotta cannelloni served with an arugula salad with sweet potatoes and feta. I grilled the butternut squash the night before and I think that helped the smokey flavor settle in a bit. One thing that I really liked about this dinner was that it was made with all fresh ingredients and relatively low fat. No oil, butter, or cream. Always a plus, especially when heading into the holiday cocktailing season. For dessert, I made my first-ever pineapple upside down bundt cake. I think I might have over cooked the cake just a tad, but having the extra juices from the pineapple seemed to have saved the day. All these recipes were certainly keepers for this fall season!

No comments:

Post a Comment