14 September 2009

DINNER CLUB RECAP: Seafood Boil!

When the hubby and I were trying to decide on last week’s feast, we kept coming up with “been there, done that” ideas. Then, out of no where, we were hit with the idea of a good ole fashioned crab boil: complete with plastic table clothes and eatin’ only with our fingers. The Mr. took the laboring oar on this dinner, but I did help out by baking the corn bread muffins. We started with lump crab cakes over a bed of mixed greens and a warm toasted fennel seed dressing. The crab cakes were pan fried then warmed in the oven. They turned out perfectly. Then the boil began: we patterned our meal from a recipe that we had recently caught on food tv. Corn, potatoes and artichokes when in first, along with dozens of lemons and spices for seasoning. Next went in shrimps, tiger prawns, and Alaskan king crab legs. We did have some clams from whole foods but they didn’t seem quiet right so we decided against serving them. Sticking with our theme –after covering our dinning room table with several plastic table clothes, we poured the food on to our dinner room table. Then it was time to dig in! Home-made mojito’s and wine washed the meal down. I think my fav had to have been the crab legs. They were steamed perfectly, with just the right amount of lemon and spice. I also really digged the corn on the cob. To round out the evening, we served a home-made banana cream pie. It had the traditional graham cracker pie crust and topped with whipped cream. It was made with whole wheat flour and I’d say the nuttiness of the flour added to the dessert!! A bonus to this wonderful meal – we just peeled off the table cloth and viola! the dishes were done!

3 comments:

  1. In addition to the amazing entree, the appetizer crab cake and dessert pie must be remembered, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The banana cream pie just hurts. It's not bad enough I missed a crab boil but I missed home made banana cream pie? That is one of my favorite pies! Maybe if I'm lucky you will do a repeat. At least of the dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Sandra missed a good one! :) I also really liked the combination of onion and garlic in the boil, mix, too! The potatoes and the garlic were so yummy eaten together. I wish I had had a bigger waist-line that night.

    ReplyDelete