08 September 2009

DINNER CLUB RECAP: Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Work has/had been really stressful, so I was looking for an easy yet yummy dinner club recipe. My mom served us a comfort food enchilada casserole at the beach/Pajaro one weekend, and I knew I had a winner. Enchilada casserole is essentially fresh bean and cheese burritos (you can make your own or use frozen- I made my own), layered with a can of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, olives, milk, and canned jalapenos, and then baked (chicken was layered on the nonvegetarian side of the casserole dish). I served mine with a ton of cilantro on top, fresh chopped tomatoes from the garden, sour cream, and salsa. Kind of like having mac and cheese as a comfort food but more spicy and, obviously, a bean-inspired dish. My side dish was a mexican fruit cart-inspired mixture of mango, cucumber, jicama, and pineapple, with lime juice and tajin fruit seasoning (spicy mexican/lime salt). My dessert was not mexican themed, but more an idea I had gotten from being easy (in my mind). I bought Eggo French toast (the kind that they precut in 4's for the toaster), and toasted that. On top, I spread Nutella and chopped peanuts. After, I gave everyone the option of maple syrup or chocolate sauce. Most chose the chocolate sauce. I sprinkled that on top, as well as organic blackberries from the Wed. farmers market. I thought the maple syrup was fantastic! You guys missed out! It was like breakfast for dessert! I would recommend trying down the road.

1 comment:

  1. This was so good. I REALLY loved the fruit cart cup. So fresh and yummy --- perfect for the dish and the end of summer.

    ReplyDelete