27 May 2010

DINNER CLUB RECAP

I tried for a light and healthy dinner club this week. As an optional start, I offered elixirs of "sweet garlic juice" (garlic, mango, avocado, kale, cucumber, lemon) -- and everyone partook! For the app, I served French bread with a dual dip: grape seed oil and a mixture of ground coriander, cumin and sea salt. The entrée was fresh snapper with a balsamic reduction. On the side was wild rice and a shredded raw beet and apple salad with a chipotle dressing. Although I liked the beet salad, I was disappointed -- it wasn't fabulous and it took forever to make. For dessert, I served a trio of goodies in a bowl: date balls, chocolate ice cream and vanilla ice cream. (I always forget how good plain ol' chocolate ice cream is!). The date balls were a mixture of dates, walnuts, mesquite flour and maca powder rolled in unsweetened coconut. I topped the vanilla ice cream with a dusting of mesquite and the chocolate ice cream with some of the coconut to combine all the flavors.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so interesting. How did the vanilla ice cream with mesquite turn out. I have done something similar with dulce de leche ice cream(sprinkling mesquite flour on top) but I usually beat the mesquite into the ice cream. So please share what was the vanilla ice cream/mesquite mixture like?

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the combo, Peter. Nice contrast, the ice cream was sweet and the mesquite, well, it has its own unique flavor. It was honestly just a last-second idea -- I was trying to bring all the flavors together (there was mesquite in the date balls), so I'm kind surprised to hear someone else has put mesquite with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fab dinner club! Sorry to hear you didn't think the beet salad was the best --- no doubt it took a ton of work, but I thought it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete